Ask users for…
Relationship to VeteranUse: Deployed
When to use this pattern
- Asking for the relationship to the Veteran. For example, when a caregiver is filling out a form.
Relationship to Veteran
How to design and build
How this pattern works
- Use either a drop down or radio buttons. Options should include spouse, child, parent, executor/administrator of estate or other.
- Provide a way to give a ‘None of the above’ answer. A radio button labeled “Other” should be provided.
Conditionally revealed fields
Conditionally revealed fields can be used if the following conditions are met:
- There should only be one reveal on a page.
- When the revealed trigger is selected, you must be able to tab directly into the newly revealed field (Which is why we’ve put the “other” question last.)
- The newly revealed question field must be understood by itself. For example, don’t just say “Other”. Instead say:
Since your relationship with the veteran was not listed, please describe it here
Components used in this pattern
Page templates available for this pattern
Error message templates for addresses
- When a user doesn’t select a relationship…
- Say “Please select your relationship to the Veteran”